Thursday 16 July 2009

Poorly

We're not well. Nothing serious (I think), just some virus / colds probably but I feel completely shattered. Normally a couple of ibuprofen would see off a sore throat and the sniffles but this time, wow, totally wiped. Must be some strange kind of Malawian cold that we're not used to.

We've had a few days in bed and a pretty lacklustre trip round the local co-op to stock up on juice and bread. All I want to do is lye under the net and sleep. Everything feels too African at the moment – I can't face the children and the traffic and the dust. I miss home.

We've been watching DVDs (I love Jack Bauer). America & Europe look AMAZING! I crave starbucks (which I never liked), proper tarmac, 24 hour shops and buildings more than 2 stories high. Streetlights and buses and sandwich bars, sushi and internet shopping!

We'll get over it, but right now I don't have the energy for this. I think we're also hitting some kind of 4 month wall. The initial excitement & novelty has worn off. We've got a normal life to lead but it is subtly different and strange things make it harder. No switch, no taxis, no take away, no microwave, no dishwasher or tumble dryer. Mod cons are just that, I miss them. I think we'll skip this weekend's outing south to the sugar fields. Hunker down in the hut, rest and watch MacGregor and Boreman struggle round Mongolia – could be worse!

Take care
F x
PS - The guards had to panga the first troublesome snake the other night as well. Really took a very very long time to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment