Monday 9 November 2009

Cape Town

Was fabulous and strange.

It has to be in the running for the most beautiful city in the world (see photos). Beaches, mountains, vineyards, proper skyscrapers, a busy port actually doing business (contrast Scotland), and the oceans. OMG the oceans. I LOVED IT!

But from the v short time I was there I think it is creepy. The townships are nightmarish sprawls of violence. We didn't see any black people driving cars. Breaking through the security round the tourists and the white people would test even Jack Bauer.

I was 14 when apartheid ended. I've never really thought about. But my God, how did that happen? And so recently? Cape Town has infrastructure that Malawi can only dream of, there is a buzz there, it could be such a great world hub. But it's broken.

I really hope it fixes itself and doesn't become another Zim. Right now it's a horrible, horrible, wasted opportunity.
F x
PS – don't get me wrong though, I spent most of my time there floating on a cloud of delight at things like fresh milk, a bath, seafood, carpets, a proper bed!

1 comment:

  1. This could not be a more accurate description of my preconceived notion of Capetown. I finished reading the book "Kaffir Boy" a few weeks ago - an autobiography of a boy who grew up in apartheid and made it to the US on a tennis scholarship. Highly recommend it.

    On another note, Joe and I just watched "The Other Boleyn Girl" and it made me think of the Church of England and our stories from Ku Chawe :)

    ReplyDelete