Sunday 21 February 2010

"You don't need to pay, this is a Government bus!"

Perfect little cameo of how things seem strange and broken but often turn out alright: I finished my meetings on Capital Hill (home of various government ministries that overlooks shiny, shiny, new, Chinese built and funded, parliament building) early. It would be a while before A could collect me, I needed to get a taxi back into town.

Asking the security guards for a taxi number initiated a universe of fussing about. Five men standing outside gesticulating and debating various options. Regretting causing such a furore, I tried to excuse myself, said it was no problem, if there were no taxis I would happily wait for my husband.

20 mins later, slightly out of breath man comes up and says "the transport is ready, come with me". Gulp. 'I don't want to offend someone who has gone out of their way to get a mate to help me, but I also don't want to get into a random car with a stranger...what to do???' I thought, as I struggled to keep up over potholes and puddles, uncomfortable in my now unfamiliar suit and heals.

To my relief he proudly pointed to a smart looking coach. "Get on, they will take you, this is a government bus, it goes far far but will drop you at city. No pay, this is a government bus". He beamed.

And sure enough, another 20 mins of being stared at by the everyday bus goers, listening to universally recognisable post work banter and wondering whether I too should buy some cassava, and we were off.

Another 15 mins after that and I was sitting sipping a cool lemonade in a proper swanky hotel. All's well that ends in a comfy chair.

Fx

Ps - Think I might have made the wrong snap decision in not standing for the Justice Minister as he walked past me in reception....what would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment