Monday 18 May 2009

Angry or Complacent?

Being massive fans of The Thick of It, A and I are gutted that we're not getting to see The Loop (though I am keeping my eye out for the inevitable t-shirts with 'I am the loop' on them!).

However, a few Kutche Kutche's (the local beer) into the party last Wednesday night, I think I would have done Jamie proud. I was talking to a very lovely Yorkshire lad who works with A, mulling over what it was to be British and, as it always seems to when we we're talking to Englishers, the subject came round to Scotland v England, Independence or no?

As a Yorkshireman he was undecided on the union (though he did feel that if Scotland got its own, then so should Yorkshire, a fair enough point). This led us to the conclusion that the the distinction was not so much between Scottish and English, but between North and South – How to tell which you are, well, as I put it “Mike! Come on Mike, which are you, angry or complacent?” Well, which?

As I say, Jamie would be proud (even if I'm not...)
Fx

PS – Mike has got funding to do a Masters in International Relations at Beijing University next year, and goes with the express wish that Britain should just be, well, “awesome again, not in a colonial type way, but we can you know, we can”. I agree.

3 comments:

  1. which are you ignorant or lazy?
    I don't know and I don't care

    besos 2the PPP's

    JD (+ KT & Minnie)x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Fair enough.

    Love to the brood
    F x

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a quote from some Aussie rools footballer, just struck me as rather appropo x

    ReplyDelete