Sunday 10 May 2009

Arrrggghhh!

[NB: Posted this on Thursday but internet crash & it didn't upload...]

I've just spent a FORTUNE on salmon and now the guilt has set in!

I was having a good day – just finished a piece of work for back home and had navigated past the 'witch doctor' to find the timber yard that apparently sells picnic benches. In the middle of a thunder storm tracked down 'Rex', discussed the relative merits of pine over Mulange ceder and am hopeful he'll phone me back with a sensible price.

I carried on and hunted out the illusive pork butcher and got great ham, bacon and pork chops – hurray! Then I went too far and skipped into the Halal fishmonger (?does that make sense? I thought halal was about the way they killed the meat – maybe it applies to fish too?) next door. Thought the price quoted was for a whole salmon not each steak! Was too embarrassed to say 'I don't want it after all' and now feel dreadful that I've spent MK4,500 on some chuffn' fish! And its frozen, not even fresh. Nor is it that poncy, Nigella, kind of 'organic' salmon that's really pale, as red as a farmed, dyed red thing.

OK that's about £18 and not a lot of money to us in the grand scheme of things, but really – come on Fiona! Too embarrassed to say “I'm not paying four times what I would pay at home, forget it, there are people begging for chips outside, I'll just learn how to cook Chambo” – get a grip!

Well, its done now. I'll just have to make sure I don't burn it!
F x

Ps – still no sign of the money I sent to us on EASTER MONDAY! Halifax are trying to charge me £12 just to find out who has it! Think I'll give them a call and take my salmon guilt out on them.
F x

No comments:

Post a Comment