Tuesday 4 August 2009

What a dobber!

I've just finished reading Dark Star Safari. Paul Theroux travels overland from Cape Town to Cairo and writes up his experiences. The book is extremely well written and was, mostly, a real pleasure for me to read. I recognise exactly what he describes. He has it down.

But he is probably one of the most sickeningly self-righteous authors I've ever read. Leave aside my personal distaste at his decision to leave his family for a year and become deliberately untouchable. I'll look over the disrespect he shows some of his friends & the praise he seeks for not sleeping with African prostitutes. I'll even try to ignore the arrogance he displays towards everyone. But the indiscriminating contempt that he shows 'agents of virtue' (the aid industry) is dangerously foolish.

Put simply, his point seems to be:

  1. Many aid projects are ineffective;
  2. there is a self serving / self perpetuating side to the aid industry;
  3. the existence of foreign aid can disincentivise national governments from taking responsibility and solve their country's own problems; and
  4. there is a bitter contrast between the wealth and comfort of many of the foreign aid workers and the people they are supposed to be helping.

I agree with all of that. But so what?

What's your solution Mr. Theroux? Stop it all now and just watch millions and millions of people die as the problem 'shakes itself out'? Or try to make the aid industry work better? Design aid projects very carefully. Never assume that you can tell what a society needs from outside. Challenge bad consultancy and respect local government decisions? Pay foreign aid workers less?

I'm pleased he's raised the debate. I'd like some challenge brought to bear on some of the work and attitudes I'm seeing. But if you're going to throw that grenade, for the love of God follow it through with something helpful. Have a plan B.

I'm angry because he makes so much of his special understanding of African problems (which he developed as a young peace corps volunteer in Malawi / Uganda decades ago). Here is someone who has insight and power and influence. Here is a famous author with the gift of the pen and he uses it to sniff and scoff and pour scorn.

F x

No comments:

Post a Comment