Monday 5 October 2009

Chariots

There are a lot of pick up trucks here in Malawi. They can be ridiculously full of people, but the back of them usually contains two or three dudes in blue overalls clinging on to a mound of furniture, corrugated iron, or heap of cement (once, a huge pile of broken glass).

Quite often said Malawian dudes will choose to stand up in the back, holding onto the rail above the driver's cabin and looking forward over the top and out onto the road ahead. The only reason we can see for doing this is for the sheer love of the ride and we think they look like riders on Roman chariots. So we play 'chariot spotting' when driving about town.

This is great fun. You can have solitaire chariots; synchronised chariots; sunset chariots; half naked chariots; or backwards chariots (but never women chariots). There will always be someone riding chariots somewhere. Except in the morning rush hour - it really seems to be a happy-to-be-going-home thing.

Hard to get pictures of, but will try.....
F x

2 comments:

  1. Fi not sure if you got the last message I sent, I am on Facebook (Carrie Watson) and the only email I have for you is work... Please send me your email. I would love to chat. I read your blog weekly... much better at it than I am!! cazzd81@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! I dropped you a line - have you got it?
    F x

    ReplyDelete