Sunday 19 April 2009

Ex-Pat Chat

I've observed the following:

Where three or more ex pats are gathered together the following subjects will come up:
- how breathtakingly crazy the g'mts plan to try & dredge the Zambesi is;
- visas / passports / immigration & biometric chips;
- power cuts;
- places to stay at the lake;
- where does good pizza;
- where sells decent wine; and
- how quickly 'Rhodesia' / 'Zim' is going to recover.

Not all mosquitoes make that buzzing noise.

People from Liberia call the World Service's 'Africa have your say' more than any other country (or just have more interesting things to say).

You can get up to 40 live chickens strapped to a bike.

Every dog in Blantyre has a damn good howl at about 9.05 each evening.
F x

2 comments:

  1. Moni! Muli bwanje? Got your blog address from my sister's friend, Julie. Have just started looking. In my day, the main ex-pat conversation was about what anti-malarial propholaxsis people were taking (for the record, I took Lariam). But your post also reminded me of the Zomba Howl, that well known phenomenon similar to that which you describe in Blantyre - yes, it really did have a name!

    Hope you are having a great time - as I said to Julie, I'm very jealous! - and tsalani bwino! (Hope your Chichewa lessons are coming on well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, great to hear from you. Julie mentioned you and I've read the reviews for your husband's book - sounds fantastic- its definately on the list for my mum & sis to bring out to me!

    Chichewa is dreadful I'm sorry to say - I've got please and thank you down and think I'm getting to grips with the whole muli bwangi protocols but that is about it!

    Great to hear that there is an actual name for the howling phenomenon! Will think of that everytime. The pot hole dilema has been solved for me as I've not seen them again and the pot holes are back - will never know now...

    Well done on braving lariam, having enough trouble with Doxclycine, don't think I could manage that one too - would be great to hear more about what you did when you were out here and what you're up to now - ask Julie for my e-mail address if you get a chance. Otherwise hope you continue to enjoy the blog!
    Take care
    F

    ReplyDelete