Wednesday 8 April 2009

TGFP

Phiri is brilliant – he's the guy who helps around the big house & is now helping us too. He does our washing, ironing, cleaning, gardening, spider killing & (it turns out) gutting and filleting of fish. I can't seem to do anything myself now - he's caught me ironing and washing the car and taken over on both occasions.

He speaks a very little English but is helping me with my Chichewa (I've discovered he has three children, and his brother is dead). He keeps a very close eye on our comings and goings and was troubled to see me leaving the house on foot on my own one day (allowed past because I was only going to Chez Macky next door).

He earns MK350 a day (about £2), which is apparently a lot in Malawi. I am topping that up with big lunches, fruit and eggs to take home, a pair of Scotland rugby union sunglasses and photos of him for him, which he seems to really like (he wanted the shot next to our car). We've been sent a care parcel of cream eggs so four are ear marked for him and his children. Two for the security guards, which leaves 6 for me!

The only downside is that I'm using my time to start reading again & I can't decide whether the poncyness of Martin Amis undermines how good London Fields is....(in itself a poncy thing to say – I'd better start working soon!)

F x

No comments:

Post a Comment