Wednesday 8 April 2009

No one ever really wins a war

I confess to feeling a little overwhelmed this week. I've realised that it will be a while before I watch TV with a takeaway, that I'm no longer financially independent and that it isn't safe for me to walk out of my house on my own. What is more, I seem to be projecting all my anxiety about being in a strange country onto the local wildlife.

I've become unhealthily aware of every spider & creepy crawly in the house (or at least I hope it is every one and there aren't a bunch of them that continue to evade me!). I'm also convinced that there is a family of heavy, probably hairy, things living in the space between the ceiling and the corrugated iron roof (despite A and Phiri's suggestions that it is falling pods from the overhanging tree falling).

This is not like me. Now is really not a good time to develop a pathetic, girly, squishmishness. There is probably a limit to the amount of insecticide I should spray in the house and the number of times I can call on A to tackle 4, 6, 8 or 100 legged creatures (thank goodness so far no problematic snakes – would definitely be on my own there!). Anyway, it would be awful to let this overshadow all the good things (on which more later).

So, I'm going to HAVE to get over this. My five point plan of action is:
1 – Ask Phiri to get rid of the spiders by the front door (done);
2 – Investigate alternative accommodation (in hand);
3 – If, as I suspect, we've got a good thing going on here, arrange for fumigation & re-fitting of insect covers on windows (will talk to Davina);
4 – Try catching some of the small spiders myself (probably after a gin or two); and
5 – Just pull myself together.

F x

No comments:

Post a Comment